Friday, January 4, 2013

Happy New Year to us....

...but seriously, New Years Day was a less than happy one!

To begin this little story I will start with New Years Eve.  Great night.  We toasted with some Sparkling Juice around 8pm.  We grabbed whatever brand was on sale at sprouts the night before, little did we know that there were 30g of sugar in each serving!! Holy cow, we were wired! We finally got the boys down for bed around 9.  Paul and I stayed up and watched a little New Years Eve celebrations on TV, and called it a night around 10:30.

This brings me to New Years Days...Paul usually lets me sleep in an extra half hour on the mornings he is home.  What a good man.  The boys helped get breakfast started, and eventually I crawled out of bed.  Only to walk into the kitchen and Paul letting me know that it looked like one of the coke cans exploded in the laundry room because the cardboard box was all wet.

I begin cleaning sopping up liquid.  I got all the cans out of the box and all were intact...hummm, not okay.  3 soaking towels later I looked up....and what did I see??? This.....


A little side note - we own our condo.  It's on the second story of a three story building.  So after calling my mom freaking out (Paul and I are not handy people to say the least).  I quickly filed a claim online with our insurance company.  Paul also went upstairs to see what was going on (since this is most likely coming from their floor).  They insisted they checked and had no water leaks...great? What does this mean?

We called the "clean up crew" to come dry out our laundry room so mold does not start to grow in there.  Of course this is all happening on a holiday!  They actually were very quick to respond and the 2 guys were at hour house only a couple hours later.  They cut off the wet drywall, and set up dryers and dehumidifies in our laundry room.  But something was still leaking in the ceiling!

Paul called our HOA manager to send out a plumber - if the leak was not coming from upstairs then it has to be coming from piping inside the walls, right?  Since it was a holiday, they HOA didn't want to pay the emergency show up fee - blah blah blah.  So the plumber was supposed to come first thing the next morning.  The dripping had slowed down, so we were gambling for the best, and that the open hole in the ceiling would not start pouring water at some point during the night.

By morning it appeared that the dripping had stopped for good.  Great, but where did it come from in the first place.  Trying to cut out boring details, the plumber didn't show up until 2pm...and what does he do....cut!


Basically in so many words he tried to tell me I was crazy and all the pipes were dry and there was no water leaking.  So what do I do, pull out my phone which had many many many photos of all the damage (I didn't want to miss anything for insurance purposes).  He proceeds to cut some more, until he pulls down SOAKING wet insulation - see I am not crazy Mr Plumber Guy.  At this point he had already been upstairs and checked the third floor unit, and had already said, "yup, no leaks".

Well if all the pipes are solid (no open connections or hole he could see), then the water is coming from upstairs, water just does not appear! So back he goes upstairs and does some more inspecting, and WEIRD, he finds a leak in their hot water tank.  The drain coming off of their pressure valve was not lining up with the piping into the ground (aka our ceiling), so water was just spilling into the open spacing between their sub-flooring and our ceiling for who knows how long.

The plumber "fixed" the problem by tacking down their drainage pipe to line up correctly....but now I still have a gaping hole in the laundry room, all the items from the laundry room in my kitchen and bathroom and it's all still trying to dry out!

Needless to say, this mess better get fixed ASAP!  I am already feel claustrophobic in our condo, and now 1 whole room is off limits (at least until all the drying equipment is taken out)...which means laundry is piling up, and my kitchen has been overrun by laundry room items!

AHHHHHHH!!!! I hope everyone else has been having a better 2013 so far, because this is miserable!

No comments:

Post a Comment